Hello headless! I am starting off the year with a tutorial on faking a wood engraving! Please try and contain your excitement.
This is a very simple tutorial. I got the wood from Deviantart here: http://blank77.deviantart.com/art/Wood-Grain-24243045
Deviantart has excellent stock images, just make sure you check the creative commons license (or the creator’s comments on the image)
I am presenting at a conference next month and wanted a background for my Prezi. I thought a simple woodgrain with a touch of UMW would work nicely, so here’s how to do it yourself with any image or text. This would also work on any background 🙂
1. Begin with your background, then create a new layer.
2. Paste the content you would like engraved into the new layer.
3. Right click on the new layer, then select Transparency > Alpha to Selection
4. Make sure your background layer is the active layer, then go to Filters > Map > Bump Map
5. Your settings should look like the following:
Deselect, and then you’re done! Hopefully this tutorial will inspire you to play with some of the filters in GIMP